Welcome to Authors Dish where your favorite authors share what they are reading. In addition, if you enjoy reading their books they have suggestions for similar book adventures by other authors. It doesn’t get better than that!
Today in the cafe are Damon Suede, Lucy Farago, and Hildie McQueen.
Rae: Who are you reading?
Damon Suede: I’m currently doing as binge read of Sherry Thomas’ Victoriana and after that I feel like it’s time for a weekend of Eileen Dreyer’s Kathleen Korbel catalog because she finds diamonds in the word mines.
Lucy Farago: Susanne Kearsley’s A Desperate Fortune, Colleen Hoover’s Hopeless, and Eve Langlais’s a Demon Witch. It depends on what mood I’m in.
Hildie McQueen: Kathryn Le Veque, J.D. Monroe, Jordan K. Rose and Renee George
Rae: If readers are a fan of your books, who should they consider reading?
Damon Suede: Charlotte Stein for the delirious, poetic smut, Mary Stewart for the broody, old-school neogothic, and Molly O’Keefe for the blend of feisty humor and dangerous emotions.
Lucy Farago: It’s hard to compare myself to other authors. Someone once told me I reminded her of Roxanne St Clair when she writes romantic suspense. Other than that I have no idea. I’m not a dark writer and I try and blend in as much humour as I can get away with.
Hildie McQueen: Merry Farmer and Sylvia McDaniel
Rae: Thank you so much authors! Let me know dear readers if you try any of these books. I’ll see you next week – sae time for new authors and more fun!
Rae: Lucy thank you so much for hanging out with me today. If we were meeting at a coffee shop I’d be drinking a spiced latte with Coconut Milk. What would you order?
Lucy: Cafe latte…with a shot of Baileys.
Rae: Earlier this year we met at RT Booklovers in Atlanta, what advise can you give to a reader if they are attending in 2018 for the first time?
Lucy: Take a friend with you. The lines are long and while its a great way to meet people, its always more fun with someone you already know.
Rae: It’s hard to believe that it’s almost the end of October, time flies when there are books to read and books to write. Do you have any traditions or decorate the house?
Lucy: No, but I do complain about summer ending and winter starting… a lot…a whole lot.
Rae: Canada celebrated Thanksgiving last month, do you have a favorite dish you make each year?
Lucy: No. Thanksgiving isn’t that big a deal in Canada. But we started frying our turkey! My husband looks forward to it every year.
Rae: For those who are not familiar with your work, you write romantic suspense and have two series – Search and Recover and Women of Vegas. Can you tell us a little bit about them. Will there be more books in the series?
Lucy: The Women of Vegas series is four books and centres around women and how their quest for redemption finds them love. Although all four are strong women, each struggle with things they’ve done in the past, hence “Sin” in each title. Sin on the Strip, Sin and the Millionaire, Sin on the Run and Sins That Haunt. The Search and Recover series is about the men you met in my first series, the men of ICU, an elite search and recovery organization under the guise of a private investigation agency. Their journey will test them like no other and when they’re done, the women by their sides will have made everything they went through worth it.
Rae: When did you realize that you wanted to write romance?
Lucy: I love Karen Marie Moning’s book and I decided I’d to try my hand at it. I never set out to be a writer. I just wanted to see if I could do it.
Rae: What inspired your first book and was that the one that was published?
Lucy: My first book is an historical romance and it’s never been published. One day…maybe.
Rae: In your bio you talk about your journey to publishing and am so happy you decided to change careers. I love reading your stories! What advise can you give to aspiring writers who have been writing a while without any interest or feedback?
Lucy: Join a writer group. One, someone will read your work and Two, someone will be there to cheer you on when the news isn’t good.
Rae: When you are writing a book, do you plot it out page by page, chapter by chapter? Or, do your characters guide you?
Lucy: I wish I plotted better but I never really figure out my characters or my twists until I’m 2/3 done.
Rae: When you sit down to write, do you focus on words per day or a time-block for a specific day?
Lucy: I write until I don’t. Setting goals never works for me and I don’t like to frustrate myself.
Rae: What can we expect to see on the bookshelves in the upcoming months?
Lucy: A Necessary Deception—Monty’s story, comes out in the spring and is set in Alaska. The cover is awesome, the best one yet. but I can’t wait to reveal it.
Rae: If readers want to meet up with you in person, where will you be in 2018?
Lucy: I’ll be in Denver for RWA next July and in Ottawa for Romancing the Capital with Eve Langlais. And I’m always on Facebook.
Rae: Thank you for hanging out in the cafe today.
**** Tasty Tidbits ****
1. What is a must read book and why? I enjoy books that make me laugh. So for that reason,”Lamb, the Gospel of Biff, Christ’s Childhood Pal”. I love Christopher Moore. The man is a god.
2. What is one place that I should see if I visit your hometown? The Rideau Canal. It’s the longest skating rink in the world and is beautiful in the summer.
3. Do you take-in or cook? If so, what is your “go-to” dish? Owning a restaurant means we take-in often, but I enjoy cooking more. That said, my kids and I prefer Pad Thai to hamburgers.
4. What is one thing readers would be surprised to know about you? I own 4 gourmet burger restaurants.
5. Hard Rock or Classical? Favorite Band or Artist? Neither. While I enjoy rock, it’s not my go-too music. I do like Bon Jovi and Aerosmith but I’m really like Maroon Five.
6. If you had an all expenses paid trip anywhere in the world for research, where would you go? I’ve always wanted to go an exotic island. I don’t care where, as long as it has cool rooms and a great beach.
7. What is your guilty pleasure? I don’t really have one, but if there is Pecan Pie on the menu, I order it.
8. What are you afraid of? You’d never catch me alone…in a farmhouse….in the middle of no where…with stupid people in clown costumes.
9. Tats or No Tats? If tats, how many and what did you choose for your first one? I have an orchid on my foot. I had a Lady Di wedding bouquet with orchids.
10. Organized or Free Floating? Free floating, but in I was I had the energy for organized.
11. Binge watcher or weekly viewer? Which show(s)? Both. I PVR certain season of shows like This is Us but I enjoy certain reality shows like the Bachelor (of course) or Survivor.
12. What’s on your playlist? Everything. I listen to almost anything except Acid or Scream Rock and gangster rap. My car is dialed into country music.
13. What play or musical do you want to see next? I like to see Carole King, but that would a trip to NY…darn.
14. Are you a crafter? Yes. When I’m stuck in story I bake or craft.
15. What’s your favorite TV show and why? Big Bang. I love to laugh. I used to like Murder She Wrote when it was on.
16. If you could pick a book you’ve read and make it into a movie, which book would it be (besides yours 🙂 )? Biff. Christopher Moore says there is no hidden meaning in his books. I think he’s lying. This book makes you think about the life of Christ and what we don’t know or think we know.
17. What’s your favorite movie of all time and why? Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, and do you really need to ask?
18. Would you rather see a movie in the theater or at home on DVD and why? I don’t see a ton of theatre movies. I prefer being able to stop the movie when I want.
19. What is the one thing you can’t live without? I don’t have anything I can live without.
20. If you could invite 5 people to dinner (not friends and family – that’s too easy) who would be at your table? Where would you eat? Martha Stewart, Hillary Clinton, Steve Hawking, Steven Wozniak, Prince Harry and we’d eat at Le Bernardin in NY, one of my favourite places.
21. If you could try any career for a day, what would it be? CEO of Google because it looks like a fun place to work.
22. Person you admire and why? hmm, she’s dead. Lady Diana. The woman had guts.
For more information about Lucy visit her website at www.lucyfarago.com
Her Sexy Challenge by Sarah Ballance is witty, charming, and absolutely sexy. Any story that involves firefighters, a bookstore and a woman overcoming her fears is worth reading.
Our dear hero, Shane Hendricks is ready to stop chasing ghosts and put the past behind him. If he’d only realize that he doesn’t have to leave town to feel complete and discover who he was truly meant to be.
Caitlyn Tyler is the perfect woman for Shane with her unique approach to conquering her fears and her sense of humor. Every book I’ve read from Sarah has strong women who just find themselves in the most precarious situations. We all have fears we’d like to conquer and I’m sure many readers will relate to Caitlyn, especially if it might involve a sexy fireman ;).
One-click this contemporary romance and discover a witty, charming and absolute must read from an author who makes me laugh and finally conquer my own fears.
A spicy 2 1/2 pepper read that has enough heat to make you sizzle and is for mature readers 18+.
While I received an advance copy from the publisher for a fair and honest review it makes a great gift for yourself or anyone looking for a book adventure. At a bargain price of $0.99 it makes a great gift for yourself or a friend!
Get your copy here: Her Sexy Challenge
If you love stories set in the Scottish Highlands with clans, battles and men in kilts then be sure to one-click Mary Wine’s latest historical romance release.
A man feared by many and a woman who will take a stand. Add a kidnapping with a twist and a ransom fit for a war chief and you are sure to find a love that burns bright. Helen must find a way to let Marcus MacPherson close enough to capture her heart. Will Marcus prove he’s worth of her love?
A majestic love story of one man who will stop at nothing to ensure his homeland is protected. Will he make it in time to protect Helene and keep her reputation in tact? Helene is strong and will challenge Marcus to prove that she will not be commanded. The tension between them is wicked 😉 as they adjust to their new arrangement.
Take a trip back in time to a world of clans, castles, lairds and lots of men in kilts. If you are suffering from Outlander withdrawal than one-click this must read. It has that and more! Yes! A thousand times more.
Get your copy here: Highland Vixen (Highland Weddings Book 2)
Pipe Dreams by Sarina Bowen is an emotionally satisfying conclusion in her Brooklyn Bruisers hockey series. When Mike Beacon discovers his wife’s unforgivable secret he is prepared to start fresh and find happiness. It will take a tragic turn of events to tear him apart from the one woman who could give him everything he wants.
We have been told that time heals the heart, but for Mike, he will discover that if he’s to find love then he must make the ultimate sacrifice. Hearts have been broken and lives changed.
Lauren Williams was there for Mike when he was betrayed but when he leaves her without any word it tears her world apart. Was it all a lie? What they had was raw, real and sizzled. When the truth is leaked, will his heart survive the fallout? No amount of protective gear can save him when he has a chance to redeem himself and confront his past.
Sarina’s series gives a perfect balance of squeeze and spice in this 2 1/2 pepper read that has enough heat to make you sizzle and is for mature readers 18+.
I received an advance copy from the publisher for a fair and honest review it makes a great gift for yourself or anyone looking for a book adventure.
Get your copy here: Pipe Dreams (A Brooklyn Bruisers Novel)
The Stablemaster’s Daughter by Barbara Devlin is infused with romance, heat and beloved characters from her spicy Pirate series. Fans of The Iron Corsair will rejoice in reading about the devoted and loyal brother Lord Ernest who deserves a happy-ever-after with the one woman he’s never forgotten, his childhood crush Henrietta. When these former friends reunite it’s page perfect.
Discover what happens when two kindred souls uncover a secret that nearly destroyed them both. Is there room for forgiveness? In order for a relationship to work there needs to be honesty, acceptance, and selfless acts of devotion. Will they finally succeed in being together forever?
Whenever I pick up one of Barbara Devlin’s books I am guaranteed that I will be reading until the very last page. Every book has rich and vivid details, a fast moving pace, and a plot full of twists and surprises. It’s time to dive in and read a book that is satisfying in every way and will leave you swooning for Lords, Pirates and romance. One-click now.
I received this book for a fair and honest review.
Get your copy here: The Stablemaster’s Daughter (Regency Rendezvous Book 10)
A Necessary Lie by Lucy Farago will keep you on the edge of your comfy chair till the very last page. This was my first adventure from Lucy and I can’t wait to read more. From the sexy cover to the men of the Investigative Collection Unit it’s a must for your summer reading.
Cowboy has one job and with it comes deception and a few secrets. No one knows his real name and he’s never wanted to tell any woman his true identity. That’s all about to change.
Grace Irvine is a reporter and will stop at nothing until she uncovers the truth even if it means the worst involving her missing friend. Meddling family, dangerous secrets and knowing when to ask for help will impact Grace and her resolution in her latest case. When she needs help, in the form of a tall and handsome Cowboy, she will find out that looks are deceiving, evidence can be tampered with and her heart can’t be protected.
I loved the chemistry, the writing and the gradual suspense of uncovering a mystery that’s shocking and characters that are wickedly charming, wity, and naughty. Dive into a world of reporters, politicians, the ICU, and one sexy Cowboy.
I received an ARC from the author for a fair and honest review and look forward to the next installment.
Get your copy here: A Necessary Lie (Search and Recover)