First, if we were meeting at a coffee shop I’d be drinking a Latte 🙂
What would you order? These days I am keeping to my Italian roots and having an Espresso most of the time… however I still get the odd piccolo or Long black every now and then 😉
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer a few questions. In between reading and blogging I try to balance eating right and staying physically fit. When I saw your YouTube video I was hooked. How often can we expect to see those fabulous videos? No problem at all mate… I am here to make a positive impact on this world, so I am honored you want to hear my tasty thoughts :). Haha Love that the channel is keeping you intrigued. At this stage we are releasing one new episode of tasty awesomeness a week. But, coming soon we have a heap of content, particularly from the US to be getting through. Soooo, you may be seeing my head pop up on your lap top a little more often… quite frankly I feel sorry for my editor :).
As a book reviewer and blogger It’s great to read about sexy alpha males. But having a sexy guy have the “tools” to cook in the kitchen, is even better! I’m sure this book will be a welcome addition in many homes soon! I love how pure and simple your recipes are to prepare and make, they are fabulous! I LOVE the idea of creating a resourceful book to help those “dudes” out there figure out their way around in the kitchen.
What inspires you to create these fabulous recipes? Haha thanks mate that’s just it… I wanted to create a book that was not intimidating and more so inspiring and realistic for any person to pick it up and be like “that looks kick arse!! And I reckon I could do it!” I get so much happiness seeing the response of people’s tweets and Instagram posts stating how happy they or their stomachs are… and at the end of the day that is a big motivator for me to keep me doing what I am doing. I am trying to make people realize the simplicity of cooking, and the benefits of making a meal for your loved ones. I am not here to be known as a profile or be famous… I just want to make people happy and food is my tool to achieving that.
Is there an ingredient that’s a must? Asking me what a must ingredient is, is like asking me to pick my favorite family member. They are all so awesome and have so much color and epic presence and all have their own purpose in life. Yeah I went there. What I will say is right now I am cooking with plenty of sweet potato and that I always season with lemon juice. In fact for the sake of it lets go with a lemon… these days everyone gets caught up in salt, which is very appropriate, however they neglect the presence of acidity and there is nothing than the super sexy lemon :).
Is there something you’ve yet to include in a recipe that you’re too afraid to use? I don’t think I ever avoid ingredients. I am more so intrigued by ones I am unaware of or are unfamiliar with using. If I walk past a stall at a market with something I have never seen before, I do research on it to find out where it’s from, moisture content etc.
Congrats on your upcoming release of DUDE FOOD: A Guy’s Guide to Cooking Kick-Ass Food in the US this past Tuesday, April 21st!
Thanks again for hanging out! My absolute pleasure mate… thanks for all the love, and looking forward to cooking my way through the homes of America :).
Dan is touring across America – check him out if you’re in the following cities:
New Brunswick / Rutgers 4/23
Boston / Northeastern 4/27
Chicago / De Paul 4/29
Cleveland / Case Western 4/30
8 Tantalizing Tidbits:
1. What is a must read book and why? Should I be saying Dudefood, because it will bring forth an excitement and wicked tastiness like nothing you have ever experienced??? Hahah Na, I would have to say “The Art of Stillness” by Pico Lyer. It helps people look at the big picture… Its actually part of the TED talk book range by Simon & Schuster. I was able to read it on a flight from Sydney to Melbourne and it provided an amazing outlook on life.
2. What is one place that I should see if I visit your hometown? I can’t go passed saying Narrabeen Beach… particularly in the morning. Watching those waves come in as the sun rises is one of the most amazing things I will ever see. I recently did a YouTube video making a pretty bad ass Chai porridge (stay tuned) and it was one of the most amazing things I have seen… cooking there was epic.. plus you can grab a coffee a great place around the corner and it is the aspect of Australia everyone knows and loves without the aspect of a known tourist attraction :).
3. Castles or Beaches? That’s an easy one, Beaches.
4. One thing readers would be surprised to know about you? I have done a 20 minute plank/prone hold.
5. If you had an all expenses paid trip anywhere in the world for research, where would you go? All expenses paid trip… Italy… anywhere. I love the culture, food, architecture and way of life… plus the language is sooo awesome!!
6. What’s your favorite TV show? A toss up between Entourage and anything with Jamie Oliver in it – hahah.
7. What’s one thing you can’t live without? One thing I can’t live without… well I know its a necessity to survive, but I can’t go passed food. I seriously plan my life around it.. to the point that I can get very #Hangry if I miss out… I actually get up excited to eat and as soon as finish my meal I am already planning my next hahah.
8. If you could invite 5 people to dinner (not friends and family – that’s too easy) who would you invite? It could be anyone past or present. Well you said no family and friends so obviously I can’t go passed saying mum, but I get off the hook on that one… I am going to say Jamie Oliver, Tom Brady (who will obviously bring his lovely wife), Barney Stinson (the character for sure), Taylor Swift (She just seems like some serious wicked fun and Ryan Reynolds… I think he is a legend.
Cheers legend.. thanks heaps for sorting this out :).
Dan Churchill is a cook, physical trainer, speaker, and the author of the DudeFood cookbook. In 2013, he appeared on MasterChef Australia, which aired in more than ninety countries. His recipes have been featured in publications worldwide, and he has appeared on several television shows.
To find out more visit: