Thank you for your interest! This is going to be great! Years ago before I started my blog I read your Nerd Series books and that is how I discovered you :). Aw, that’s great to hear. Bless Kelly Ripa for giving me so much publicity!
That must have been so much fun to research! Did you have a favorite book in the series?
Probably the first one, Nerd in Shining Armor, because I wrote that without a contract, which was a very freeing experience, but The Nerd Who Loved Me is my second favorite. Oh, wait, I loved Nerd Gone Wild, set in Alaska. That was my Northern Exposure book, LOL. It’s hard to choose. They were a blast to write and I had nerds emailing me giving me tips and research advice. It was a great run.
First, if we were meeting at a coffee shop I’d be drinking a Latte 🙂 What would you order?
Pumpkin Spice Latte if they have it! I love flavored lattes and get them whenever I stop in a coffee shop. Peppermint is great, too!
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer a few questions. Your books vary from Cowboys to Sexy Nerds to Werewolves and so much more, do you have a favorite?
Thanks for asking me to do this! Well, you’re asking me to choose my favorite child, LOL. I can’t choose. Each type of story has a different appeal for me, and I love writing them all. I fall in love with the hero every time, whether he’s a nerd, a cowboy, or a werewolf!
8 Tantalizing Tidbits:
1. A Must read book and why? Huckleberry Finn, if you haven’t. Nobody nails dialogue like Mark Twain. I heart his work.
2. What is one place that I should see if I visit your hometown? Saguaro National Monument. We have two parks on either side of town where the roads wind through majestic stands of these amazing cacti. Saguaros only grow in the Sonoran Desert and it takes a least 60 years for them to sprout that first arm. Some of the huge, multi-armed ones have been around for more than 200 years.
3. One thing readers would be surprised to know about you. I don’t watch TV. I have no cable or dish service. When I hear of a great show that I need to watch, I’ll buy the season of it, like Big Bang Theory, which I adore. But a lot of the time, my TV screen is blank because I’m writing, writing, writing!
4. If you had an all expenses paid trip anywhere in the world for research, where would you go? Antartica! It’s a pricey trip but I desperately want to see the wildlife that abounds there. It might be the last untouched place on Earth.
5. What is your guilty pleasure? Browsing in Michael’s Craft Store! I’m not crafty, but I love decorating my house, which is my major hobby. I go crazy with garlands and wreaths, changing them out for each season. I have a closet full of seasonal decorations from Michael’s.
6. What are you afraid of? Getting lost! I now have a GPS on my phone, thank God, and recently I used it to find an Ace Hardware store I’d never been to. This is in my town, mind you, but I still get confused. We have a huge shopping mall with a Penny’s in the middle and multiple doors out into the mall. I can’t go in Penny’s I’ll take the wrong door and wander in the mall for days.
7. Would you rather see a movie in the theatre or at home on DVD? Why? In the theater, hands down! I have a fairly large flat screen at home, but nothing beats the total immersion of that giant screen and surround sound. I dive into the story and don’t come out until the end. At home there can be interruptions.
8. Do you love to cook or go out to eat? Out to eat!! Cooking doesn’t work for me. I get distracted by the story I’m writing and forget something’s on the stove until it boils over or the smoke alarm goes off. I’d rather write than cook any old day. And I’m not a picky eater, so if someone puts food in front of me, I’ll eat it. I wouldn’t mind having a live-in cook, come to think of it.
THANK YOU SO MUCH for your time.
Thanks for inviting me to do the interview, Rae! If we ever do get to grab coffee together, I’m buying. 🙂
A passion for travel has taken New York Times bestseller Vicki Lewis Thompson to Europe, Great Britain, the Greek Isles, Australia and New Zealand. She’s visited most of North America and has her eye on South America’s rainforests. Africa, India, and China beckon. But her first love is her home state of Arizona with its deserts, mountains, sunsets, and – last but not least – cowboys! The wide open spaces and heroes on horseback influence everything she writes. Connect with her at VickiLewisThompson.com, facebook.com/vickilewisthompson, and twitter.com/vickilthompson.