First, if we were meeting at a coffee shop I’d be drinking a Latte 🙂
What would you order? I’d order a hot tea or an iced tea depending on the weather! I’ve always been a tea drinker!
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer a few questions. I must first say that I LOVE your covers for your Hard Ink series! I discovered your refreshing and fabulous tale in Premiere. In case my dear readers missed it here is the link of my review – https://booksilovealatte.wordpress.com/2015/02/27/an-ex-fiance-and-a-tattoo-require-an-expert/ The collection is a must read! What an honor to be included in the first collection!
Thank you so much! I always say that the cover gods have smiled on me, and it’s never been more true than with the Hard Ink covers which I LOVE! And yes, I was super psyched be included in the Premiere anthology and absolutely loved the challenge of writing something short and compelling! Covering Her Skin was so much fun (and when I get my rights back in 18-24 months, I am thinking of expanding it into a series of novellas!)
Congrats on your three upcoming releases! Wow! Three books by September – where do you find the time? You must be a fast writer! Your series, Hard Ink looks fantastic. I’ve already put it on my “need to buy” list.
I’m a full-time writer, so that helps. And I am a pretty fast writer. I pretty much have back-to-back deadlines so I aim for 3,000 words a day, every day, and try to stay on track with my deadlines as much as I can. I think I’ll actually end up with seven releases total by December. And yay for “need to buy” lists! *grins*
I’ve really loved writing the Hard Ink series. Now that all the books in that series are completed (though not yet released), I’m really missing the characters! Luckily, I have a spin-off series coming based on the Raven Riders Motorcycle Club, so we’ll see the Hard Ink team again!
What’s the inspiration for Hard Ink? How many books do you anticipate for this series? Were you able to spend time in a tattoo parlor? I must say I think there are some fabulous tat’s but I’m so indecisive I could never commit. I admire those who can!
There are seven total books in the series, though the last one, Hard As Steel, is a crossover novella between the Hard Ink and the new/spin-off Raven Riders MC series. The inspiration was my love of tattoos and the eight years I worked for the U.S. Military (Navy) as a professor at the Naval Academy. And I’ve lived in/near Baltimore, Maryland, for a lot of my life. I have five tattoos, so I’ve definitely spent time in a tattoo parlor!
I’m very impressed at how many genres you are writing – contemporary, paranormal, fantasy romance and erotica. What’s the most difficult genre to write? How do you keep them all straight?
I think they each have their own challenges. In contemporary romance, building conflict that can’t be resolved by a simple conversation can be a challenge. In paranormal, building a unique and believable world can be a challenge. But I really enjoy writing more than one genre because it keeps things fresh as I move between projects. One way I keep them straight is that I rarely write more than one book at a time. But each series has a feel in my head that’s quite distinct from every other series I might be working on, so switching between them is easier than you might imagine!
Thanks again, I had a blast! Happy Writing! Thanks for having me!
8 Tantalizing Tidbits:
1. A Must read book and why? Lover Awakened by J.R. Ward, because it has the best hero’s redemption of any book I’ve ever read.
2. What is one place that I should see if I visit your hometown? If you come to Annapolis, you have to go down to the City Dock. It’s right on the water, surrounded by historic buildings and tons of shops and restaurants, and right next to the Naval Academy.
3. Castles or Beaches? Castles
4. One thing readers would be surprised to know about you. I had a brain injury in 2008.
5. If you had an all expenses paid trip anywhere in the world for research, where would you go? Scotland. I have been wanting to go for years and would love to write a Scottish Highlander series one day
6. Tats or No Tats? If tats, how many and what did you choose for your first one? Yes tats! I have five and my first is of a star filled with three roses (one for each of my daughters and my mom) on my right shoulder.
7. What’s on your playlist when you write? I listen to one song on repeat for an entire book, one unique song for each book. Some examples:
Hard As It Gets – Breaking the Habit, Linkin Park
Hard As You Can – Revelry, Kings of Leon
Hard to Hold On To – Again, Lenny Kravitz
Hard to Come By – Blurry, Puddle of Mudd
Hard to Be Good – Latch, Sam Smith
Hard to Let Go – Numb, Linkin Park
8. If you could pick a book you’ve read and make it into a movie, which book would it be (besides yours 🙂 )? I would love to see J.R. Ward’s Black Dagger Brotherhood series brought to life on screen!
About Laura Kaye:
Laura is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over twenty books in contemporary and paranormal romance and romantic suspense. Growing up, Laura’s large extended family believed in the supernatural, and family lore involving angels, ghosts, and evil-eye curses cemented in Laura a life-long fascination with storytelling and all things paranormal. She lives in Maryland with her husband, two daughters, and cute-but-bad dog, and appreciates her view of the Chesapeake Bay every day.
Website | Facebook | Twitter | Newsletter SignUp